Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rotary Club of Huon Gulf

I was encouraged by my best friend, Cynia Sanchez, to join this club. The president during that time was Graeme Paul. He was working with KKKingston that time. He was the one who inducted me to become a member. When he left, Rahul Kaula took over the president's position. Cynia Sanchez was the president from 2009-2010. She left in May to move to Canada with her family. Now our president is Stephen Beach. It's been 3 years and 4 presidents under the RCHG. At first I was feeling so out of place. The members were mostly Australian that time that I joined. Now there are 3 Sri Lankans (Premilla's, John Dirkze), 1 Indian (Kaity Bluett), 2 Australians (Hans Mehl and Evan Gilespi), Englishman (Stephen Beach), Ethiopian (Workneh Ayalew), American Indian (Rahim Milani - also leaving for his retirement), and Filipinos (myself, Leonida Santos, Roel Sta Cruz, Napoleon Sanchez, and Consul Bartolay). We have PNG members too (Steven Leva, Lamasisi couple who do not actively attend anymore).

This people are the ones I am always with every Wednesday evening at Melanesian Hotel, where we hold our meeting. As all the rotary clubs, we hold functions to fund our charity works. I am happy to be in this club. It makes me feel different from the rest. I am doing something noble and charitable. It takes some of my time but I definitely enjoy the feeling that I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment